Monday, June 8, 2009

Don't Call It a Come Back...

...call it a relapse. Or just call it a blog posting after nearly 8 months of complete silence. Perhaps the brevity of Fbook status updates just finally became too constrictive for me. Maybe I just have way too much time on my hands at work. Either way I'm back on the interwebz, stealin' ur sitez, with plans to post with far more regularity this time. So come on gorgeous, whataya say? Give me one more chance, for old time's sake?

Awww, I knew you'd forgive me. See? It's like we never parted, so why don't we just pick up right where we left off?



ROCKNROLLA: I'm a tad impressed. Ritchie actually had a touch of decency and talent left in him. A few quick notes: Ritchie tries (and fails) to add a strong central female to his usual cast of Limey low-lifes and shady characters, something completely absent in LOCK STOCK and SNATCH. Stella (Thandie Newton) ends up as eye-candy with an attitude, nothing more. Gerard Butler as One Two carries his weight as the leading man but the character wasn't written with much depth to begin with, and he is often overshadowed by the performance of Idris Elba (of THE WIRE fame, aka: Stringer Bell) as sidekick Mumbles. The real show-stealer is Toby Kebbell as Johnny Quid, the crack addicted character of titular relevance.



Those not familiar with Toby Kebbell would be savvy to check out the indie Brit sleeper DEAD MAN'S SHOES (Dir: Shane Meadows), starring Kebbell and Paddy Considine, one of the most beautiful, sad and frightening films that I have ever seen. Sadly, it is almost a complete unknown Stateside. While I'm more than tempted to digress into a rant about the merits of Shane Meadows, Paddy Considine, and why you're a fool for not going out and seeing DEAD MAN'S SHOES this very instant, I will instead settle for the gruesome still above and the brief trailer below.

Mama said knock you out,

~Z

No comments: